Keep it safe and legal

It’s important to raise money in a way that is safe and legal. It’s better to be sure so email if you have any queries.  


To collect money in a public place you need a license from your local council, or if you live in London – from the Metropolitan Police.

Using our logo

We want you to use our name and branding at your event, but by law you need to include our registered charity number, 1109743.


You need to apply for an alcohol license in order to serve alcohol at an event you’re organising. To serve food you need to apply to all food safety laws. You could get round this by holding it at a venue that is already licensed, like a pub or a restaurant.


It’s important to make sure that food you serve is prepared, cooked and stored hygienically and safely.

Public liability insurance

Ovarian Cancer Action does not accept any liability for loss, damage or injury as a result of your fundraising event.

If you’re holding a public event, ensure that you have the correct public liability insurance in place. This type of insurance protects you from unexpected financial loss like accidents or injuries.

Raffles and lotteries

Raffles and lotteries are defined as any event where people pay to participate for the chance to win a prize. There are two types of raffles and lotteries:

  • Incidental non-commercial lotteries. You don’t need a licence when a raffle is not the main focus of your event. There must be no cash prizes, and the ticket sales and announcement of the results must be carried out during the event. No more than £500 can be spent on buying prizes, although there is no limit on the value of donated prizes, and no more than £100 can be deducted from ticket sales to cover overheads.

  • Society lotteries. If you hold a larger raffle where, for example, tickets are sold over a period of time before the draw takes place, the raffle must be registered with the local authority. If ticket sales exceed £20,000 you must register with the Gambling Commission. As lotteries are governed by many rules, we recommend you speak to your local Licensing Authority for advice before organising one.